Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Mi Buenos Aires Querido

Carlos Gardel is one of the most influential Tango musician.
His work included Mi Buenos Aires querido, Soledad, and of course Por Una Cabeza.

My Buenos Aires, dear city,
When I see you once again,
There’s no more forgetting or pity.

The little street lamp, standing on my native street,
Was there to witness my first promises of love.
Its quiet light was shining when I went to meet
My lovely sweetheart, glowing like the sun above.
Now that my fortune has me seeing you once more,
The only city that I’ve ever hankered for,
Hearing the plaintive bandoneon,
My heart inside me wants to break out on its own.

My Buenos Aires, Land full of flowers,
My final hours, will be spent here.
No disappointments, under your sky, and
The years go by and we forget the pain.
Memories chasing one after another,
Sweetness of feelings left along the way.
I’ll have you know that just thinking of you
Makes all my heartaches scatter away.

The little window facing my suburban street,
Framing the image of a smiling girl so sweet,
I want once more to walk beside it and to see
Those eyes caressing even as they look at me.
And even in the meanest alley there’s a song
Of pluck and passion, and its echo rings along.
It’s like a promise, and like a sigh.
A tear of sorrow, but that singing wiped it dry.

My Buenos Aires, dear city,
When I see you once again,
There’s no more forgetting or pity.


I didn't want to put Por Una Cabeza on here because the content.
I would have to really drown my sorrow in alcohol or drugs then... For a head of a horse, how ironic. Too much to handle right now.

2 days after the match, the devastation of the loss finally hit home. It's a loss by players who had demonstrated they are of so much higher quality than the rest of the participants of the tournament. In the footballing world, it's a loss at the magnitude of the Spartan loss in Battle of Leuctra.


There are really alot of similarities between the Albicelestes and the Spartan culture. Equally stubborn in their ways of approaching problems; Rely on individual talents acquired through years of developments and training; Employ disciplinary offensive strategies in battles; Neo-conservatively protecting antiquated tradition that's obsolete...

Spartans slowly died off after Leuctra. Will the Spartans of modern football suffer the same fate? After all, the history of heros is a collection of tragedies.

2 comments:

Jason h said...

Hey! i'm going to cali this sunday.. gonna be there for a week, this is the site i was talking about where i made the extra cash. later!

Roberto-Iza said...

"Por una cabeza" is really magnificent. Translate it sometime.